Every day I see flyers stuck under windshield wipers in cars parked along the street. I don't know why, but I've been collecting them for over a year now. A slice of Paris life.

I have no knowledge of or vested interest in the establishments advertised in these flyers.

If you see a bona fide Paris windshield advertising flyer and would like to have it posted here, submit the scanned version to me at pollyvousfrancais [at] yahoo [dot] com and I'll do my best to include it. With attribution, of course!

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Rhymes with...


I'm not sure how to pronounce lingot. More like bingo or mango? T or no T?

3 comments:

Autolycus said...

French is usually pretty regular - and my Robert confirms, it's like mango.

Polly-Vous Francais said...

Thanks for looking that up - I'm too lazy with Pare-Brise; it only gets the transient thought that I experience when I pick up the flyer. (I wondered about the car, the Twingo....)

Now my next question -- the etymological transition from Lingot to Ingot (or the reverse)?

Autolycus said...

According to my old Shorter Oxford - Ingot - "Of uncertain origin. F. lingot is app. adopted from Eng. with coalescence of the article, for l'ingot."